Unless we find any major bugs Avahi 0.6 will be released on friday. We ask everyone to do some testing for us:
There have been a bunch of API changes. However, the API is now frozen, so feel free to start porting your application to the new API now.
A rough overview about the many improvements in Avahi 0.6.
- Support for (read-only) wide area support. (i.e. DNS-SD over unicast DNS)
- Ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, Darwin/MacOSX and to some extent OpenBSD
- Compatibility layers for HOWL and Bonjour
- Support for registering/browsing abritrary records
- Proper support for DNS-SD service subtypes
- Native C implementations of the client utilities
- Now passes the Bonjour conformance test suite without any exceptions
- "Passive observation of failures"
- chroot() support
- Many traffic reduction improvements
- Bugfixes, cleanups